When I was younger, we used to have to write this essay at school titled 'Your Aim in Life.'
And when you ask a bunch of year 3s to 5s what their 'aims in life' are..get ready for the most blandest aims.
"I want to be a doctor!"Amazingly, this aim mostly came from the classmates who were the most likely to go 'ewwww'/'yuck' at the sight of acne, a boil, pus, vomit or the best part: when I was in hospital with an IV stuck n my arm they went 'your veins will tear'. Wow thank you. I makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER that you gave your expert opinion on how my vein will tear. And it was like most of the class who said this. Creative thinking gos down the drain.
Just be warned that if I ever get sick I'm SO not going to get 'expert advice' from you. I don't want to hear how quickly my vein is going to tear from an IV.
"Teaching is my vocation!"So says the classmate who loves to backbite. What are you going to do; in the staffroom if one of your colleagues goes 'Who like, drank my coffee', you're gonna go 'OMG like I totally didn't drink it, like, quit looking at me like that; it was so - and - so who like drank it - I TOTALLY saw them ILY!'
Did I mention that these people wanted to be English teachers?
"I'll follow in the footsteps of the great ones and become an engineer."Yes, you - talking to you. Remember when we all played with Lego and Building blocks? And remember how you'd FAIL epically at making the simplest little house? These aspiring engineers' buildings would break down, they had no stability, no durability to the natural forces (actually it was kind of my fault because I was being a bandit who would steal the bricks) and they had no room for the people. Not to mention their woeful bridges and pitiful roads.
"The audience is calling - the sports world needs me!"This one was actually valid for some people, especially the dolt who lived on top of us and kicked around an annoying cricket ball at the most ungodly hours of the night. However people who cannot catch a ball to save themselves PLEASE DO NOT try to get into sports, for your own sake.
What annoyed me the most was how people simply put their aims as the jobs which were deemed to be the most 'respectable' and 'secure'. It's society talking. I have NOTHING against the doctors, engineers, sports - people and teachers out there - NO VOCATION is to ever be belittled. However, what I hated was how these people would say 'Art? you'll never get enough money/ LOL musicians barely feed themselves!'
And I also hate how people ask you 'aww what's your aim in life?' - as though that's as easy to answer as 'Do you want to eat this cake?'
People. That answer - it's one that I believe steadiness in thinking brings about a right choice eventually.
Therefore, my aim is:
"I'm going to be the best at making a general nuisance of myself!"And I always thought, well why not? Everyone's doing the same things over and over again,why not be a pioneer? I was quite good at being a general nuisance, and my skills in this field are, I believe, quite unrivaled. They always say, use what you are born with, right?
But then again, Reginald says: 'Never be a pioneer. It's the Early Christian who gets the fattest lion.'
I'll have to think about that.

No comments:
Post a Comment