........
Dear Mum and Papa,
I won't make this much of a private letter because I'm not brave enough to do so.
I reckon you're different from every other parent that I know (although I may be wrong because obviously I don't know what goes on in other families) in the sense that you treat me like ME.
Me, as in a person who is capable and intelligent enough to know what's going on, me, as in a person who is capable of feeling and thinking things and issues through, and I know I never say so - but thank you for that respect you have given me.
I reckon you've brought me up to the best of your abilities, and I reckon thats about 199 percent of your time. I thank you for exposing me to all sorts of things, giving me leeway to try new things, and supporting me through various endeavors I might take.
Sometimes I get irritated with you. Sometimes this irritation is utterly baseless; sometimes it's not. Sometimes the proverbial teenage rebelliousness shows through, and all I can say, as a responsible and awesome person is I'd like to apologize for those times when not everything is as bright and shiny as it might be. I also appreciate that you might make mistakes along the way, and I make errors in judgement too, and I realize it is because we are humans - but I believe that we are all very special, awesome humans - and I'm proud of that.
Sometimes I DO have reason to be annoyed - but don't take it to heart. I inherit my temper from three generations, from both your sides, and like you two, it's simply a basic trait. Again my apologies that I have not yet learned to control it properly. Sometimes you lose your tempers with me or show impatience - I reckon we all overreact sometimes - and this leads to catharsis. As they say: what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Over the recent years you have had to take important decisions, and I understand that many of them are for my sake. I've lost my temper; you've lost yours, and sometimes I must say I have questioned these decisions sometimes, and no doubt you have too.It's been a few tough years, but I'll take a liberty here and compare our family to a family of fish - our star signs are all water mutable, and like fish we can make it through any situation, just with a little water. I'm still young - I'm still learning.
Sometimes to you I might seem emotionless. I hardly 'talk about my feelings', I very rarely cry in front of you. And you realize it's harder for me to communicate with people than other people, and I appreciate you understanding that. I appreciate your silent support in everything.
I appreciate you not trying to lock me up in a little bubble of protection like some parents do. I only have you two to thank for the love for the arts and history which has grown in me throughout the years. I also thank you for carting me off to every single museum and art gallery wherever we go. It may not seem like it, but I believe I am lucky for having parents like you. Honestly. Even though I have a face that shows just about as much expression as a rock. Thank you for holding my hand when I need it, and thank for letting go when I want to let go. Thank you for opening the door when I want to come back again.
Lastly, I reckon I'm a pretty awesome kid to have, and you two are pretty awesome parents to have, and positive + positive = positive (awesomeness).
Your loving daughter,
Me.
Dear Mum and Papa,
I won't make this much of a private letter because I'm not brave enough to do so.
I reckon you're different from every other parent that I know (although I may be wrong because obviously I don't know what goes on in other families) in the sense that you treat me like ME.
Me, as in a person who is capable and intelligent enough to know what's going on, me, as in a person who is capable of feeling and thinking things and issues through, and I know I never say so - but thank you for that respect you have given me.
I reckon you've brought me up to the best of your abilities, and I reckon thats about 199 percent of your time. I thank you for exposing me to all sorts of things, giving me leeway to try new things, and supporting me through various endeavors I might take.
Sometimes I get irritated with you. Sometimes this irritation is utterly baseless; sometimes it's not. Sometimes the proverbial teenage rebelliousness shows through, and all I can say, as a responsible and awesome person is I'd like to apologize for those times when not everything is as bright and shiny as it might be. I also appreciate that you might make mistakes along the way, and I make errors in judgement too, and I realize it is because we are humans - but I believe that we are all very special, awesome humans - and I'm proud of that.
Sometimes I DO have reason to be annoyed - but don't take it to heart. I inherit my temper from three generations, from both your sides, and like you two, it's simply a basic trait. Again my apologies that I have not yet learned to control it properly. Sometimes you lose your tempers with me or show impatience - I reckon we all overreact sometimes - and this leads to catharsis. As they say: what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Over the recent years you have had to take important decisions, and I understand that many of them are for my sake. I've lost my temper; you've lost yours, and sometimes I must say I have questioned these decisions sometimes, and no doubt you have too.It's been a few tough years, but I'll take a liberty here and compare our family to a family of fish - our star signs are all water mutable, and like fish we can make it through any situation, just with a little water. I'm still young - I'm still learning.
Sometimes to you I might seem emotionless. I hardly 'talk about my feelings', I very rarely cry in front of you. And you realize it's harder for me to communicate with people than other people, and I appreciate you understanding that. I appreciate your silent support in everything.
I appreciate you not trying to lock me up in a little bubble of protection like some parents do. I only have you two to thank for the love for the arts and history which has grown in me throughout the years. I also thank you for carting me off to every single museum and art gallery wherever we go. It may not seem like it, but I believe I am lucky for having parents like you. Honestly. Even though I have a face that shows just about as much expression as a rock. Thank you for holding my hand when I need it, and thank for letting go when I want to let go. Thank you for opening the door when I want to come back again.
Lastly, I reckon I'm a pretty awesome kid to have, and you two are pretty awesome parents to have, and positive + positive = positive (awesomeness).
Your loving daughter,
Me.

No comments:
Post a Comment